The Mar Vista Green Garden Showcase happens this weekend, featuring water wise gardens like this one and 49 other sustainable examples. Photo: Mar Vista Community Council
- Mar Vista Green Garden Showcase: “More than 50 Mar Vista gardens will be divided into five walkable clusters…open free of charge and will feature, among other things, beekeeping, drought-tolerant landscaping, berms, bioswales and water catchment systems.”
- Could bacteria-grown materials be the future of building?: “Imagine if we could harness the by-product of bacteria to “grow” building materials. These incredible Xylinum Cones do just that – each cone is made out of cellulose created by organically grown microorganisms.”
- New Light-Up Downtown Overpasses Will Change Based on Pollution, Weather, Footsteps: An art installation on Los Angeles Street incorporates “a wiry veil of blossom-shaped steel plates” and lights that change according to air pollution and weather.
- 25 Years On: How Hubble’s Vision Became Our Own: “That’s because the true legacy of the Hubble Space Telescope, its true gift to the future, is the one we have given ourselves. We have seen farther. Across an ocean of space and time and galaxies, we have seen where we truly are and, therefore, what we truly are.”
- Looking Back at the California Incline Before It Disappears: “Beginning Monday, the California Incline—the road/bridge that leads from PCH up to Ocean and California avenues in Santa Monica —will close for about a year so that it can be demolished…[replaced with] a new Incline that’s more than 5.5′ wider than the old one.”